Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Settling In

After 3 months, I am finally feeling settled in here at our new home in Mississippi. It is so much different than our home in the little village in Kreuzrath, Germany. There are no stairs in this house which is such a nice thing when it comes to doing laundry. I burn less calories by not having stairs, that is for sure, but now I don't worry about falling down.

The boys are adjusted to their new school and the difference between their previous and current teachers, but I don't know if I agree with all of the worksheets that I see everyday. I really liked the more hands on approach that they had at Gabriel's old school in the Netherlands, and he didn't spend 2+ hours a night on homework. The boys recently received their first ever letter grades. Samuel made all A's and Gabriel made all B's. We were very pleased with how well they did, especially for the huge adjustment they had to make.

I received the calling of Enrichment Committee member and Aaron received the callings of Primary teacher and Cub Scout Master back at the beginning of December. We were asked to give talks in Sacrament meeting this past Sunday, and we spoke on the topic of Choice and Accountability. I think it was a good initiation into the ward to be asked to talk. Now the other members will know a little about who we are. It helps me feel like I know them a little better as well. Also last Sunday I substituted as the Primary Music Chorister for the first time ever. I was a little overwhelmed by being asked to substitute for something I had never done it before. I had so much fun teaching the kids about the song, "I Lived in Heaven", and getting to lead a lot of other fun songs. Kids are so much fun. I get to teach them "How Firm a Foundation" this coming Sunday.

Aaron's been super swamped since our move into this house with all of the jobs there have been around here. And between that and all he's been doing at work, he really hasn't had any free time. This week and next week he is teaching his first Unix Course.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, does he really have over 2 hours of homework each night!!!??? That is INSANE!

    It was good to hear an update on how you guys are doing. I'm glad you're getting settled in all right. Tell Aaron I never did get his talk that he was going to e-mail me.
    I look forward to visiting
    your blog and hearing how you guys are doing.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow does he really have that much homework every night!??? That is INSANE! Glad you guys are getting settled in over there.
    Tell Aaron I never got his sacrament talk that he was going to e-mail me. (:

    I look forward to visiting your blog. It will be fun to hear all about what's going on in your family.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete